Being in an auto accident can be traumatic. It can be even more stressful if you are unsure what steps to take after an accident has occurred. You may experience anger, fear, shock, nervousness, guilt, or a combination of all of these emotions. It is important to take a moment and remain calm.
After an accident has occurred stay at the scene. Leaving the scene of an accident can lead to serious penalties whether you caused the accident to not. Penalties for leaving the scene of an accident can include large fines, suspension of your license or even imprisonment.
Immediately after an accident follow these steps:
- Make sure everyone in your vehicle is okay.
- Pull to the side of the road if possible and take any necessary precautions to protect the scene of the accident from further accidents.
- Call and report the accident to the police and request medical assistance if anyone has sustained injuries.
- Use your camera to take pictures of the damage and location. Also take photos of the other driver’s license, insurance cards and license plate.
- Answer police questions. Give identifying information to the other party involved, but make NO comments about assuming responsibility.
- If someone witnesses the accident make sure to get their name and phone number.
- As soon as possible, report the accident to your insurance agent. Depending on the severity of the accident you may also need to contact a qualified attorney to protect your rights.
Remaining calm and taking the above steps can help ease your mind and prevent any unexpected issues when filing an insurance claim.
Keep this list in your car for quick reference. Remember accidents happen. We are here to help.